I have said it before and I will say it again, this season is worlds better than season one. Even the lackluster episodes manage to keep your interest and it just goes to show how skilled this cast and crew are on this series. So, without further adieu, this is Saints of Imperfection.
Tilly is trapped in the
mushroom kingdom mycelial network as Burnam deals with the possible loss of her friend but Stamets has a plan to get her back. Meanwhile Pike is still on the Search for Spock but ends up finding a certain mirror universe Captain who is working for a certain secret branch of the Federation.
Is it a ‘Good’ Episode?
I am really enjoying the absurd weirdness that this season seems to have no problem embracing. From the giant red data blob in the last episode to the strange mushroom universe that is becoming more and more of an important factor, this series is not afraid to dive into the science fiction that the franchise is known for. In this episode, not only do we have a mushroom spore drive but we also have a strange upside down like world that has apparently been harmed by the very Spore Drive the Discovery has been using for some time. Additionally there is a biological transporter that reminds me if something out of The Thing and the alien named May who has grown quite attached to Tilly.
All that being said, this is one of those episodes that mostly exists to move the plot forward. In a nutshell, we had more of the Mycelial Network, more of the random Georgiou appearances, the return of Tyler and more of Tilly and her spore friend, that’s a lot to cram into a 45 minute episode. While some interesting things happened, there was not really one aspect that was stand alone nor one that had a deeper story. Sure, that is not always a bad thing, but we already had this with the very random episode Point of Light and frankly, I would rather see the plot move forward with some solid ‘A’ stories than just another filler episode filled with a multitude of ‘B’ and ‘C’ stories. All in all though, better than Point of Light but not the best episode this season, even though I imagine we will see many of the new threads from this one pop up again.
Only one more episode until what looks like a mid season break and from the looks of it, Saru and the crew are about to go break some Prime Directives.
Gleanings, Questions and cool bits: ( spoilers here)
- Is it just me or is it kinda strange how Pike knew what Section 31 was from the get go? For such a top secret group they seem to be pretty well known…and having their own badges advertising the branch they work for…yeah that just doesn’t make sense.
- It is cool that Section 31’s badges seem to be early version of the com badges from TNG. Makes sense if they are the spec-ops side of the Federation, once they have something better, they let that tech out. I like it.
- The Red Wings Mystery: Apparently the red beacons are emitting Tacyons. Anyone who is familiar with Trek knows that that involves some time travel antics and that never goes well.
- Stamets gets his husband back but is it really Culber? I suspect that there is much more going on here than a simple mushroom induced resurrection.
- I think this will ultimately be the story of who Spock was willing to risk court-martial in the episode The Menagerie as that moment always seemed a little out of place for the Vulcan Commander.
- More and more I suspect that we will get a Pike’s Enterprise series. He is far too good of an actor to only use for a single season and we all know he has to go back to the Enterprise at some point. The question is, will it be from the start of his 5 year mission, with a remake of The Cage, or will it continue after this series? A remake of the Cage would not necessarily be a bad thing and not unwarranted since it was technically not part of the original series and could be ret-conned out with little affect to the canon. Not to mention we do have a Spock and a Number One that are both played by fairly well known actors as well. CBS is brewing something and it smells good.
- And is it just me or does the Section 31 ship look a lot like a certain Romulan Bird of Prey?
Thanks for reading the SciFi TV Review, I look forward to discussing the rest of the series with you! Some teasers of next weeks episode below. Have Fun!
For more TV goodness check out Retro TV Reviews here.
As always, please feel free to comment below and share your experiences with these episodes as well. If you just happened by, tell me what you think! Don’t Forget To Follow me if you like the blog!
Late To The Game 2/14/2018