After a rather lackluster episode it is almost certain that this is going to be a much better entry. I mean, we know who the Red Angel is, we know why Spock and Burnham had a falling out, we know what happened to Culber in the mushroom kingdom, so lots of mysteries solved. The new one, what was Burnham’s mom doing with a time machine?
Burnham finally meets the Red Angel but she is not who she was expecting while Leland seems…different.
Is it a ‘Good’ Episode?
Things really seem to be coming together in this one. It seems that the trend so far is that, after a rushed ‘board shuffle’ episode, we get another solid entry that pushes the story forward. This one certainly does it.
For the first time in the series, we finally see a side of Burnham that we have been waiting for. Much of season one, I found her wooden and somewhat cold but this season it seems that Sonequa Martin-Green has finally found her character. This episode really shows the character that she has found. After her rather touching conversation with Spock last episode, it was only a matter of time but her conversation with her mother, combined with the brief view of her in the past, really shows how much Burnham has grown as a fully formed character.
That being said, I also love Burnham’s Mother, played by Sonja Sohn. Sonja is an amazing actor and it is awesome seeing her in Star Trek. Her acting ability really shines through giving her character such a life in such a brief time. I can’t say I am surprised seeing her background but it is still no less impressive.
Once again, I simply love Ethan Peck’s portrayal of Spock. He has managed to capture the mannerisms and nuance of Lenard Nimoy while also making the role his own. I sincerely hope that Discovery is not the last we see of his version of this character. If it is, this is a grave disservice to Star Trek and Star Trek fans as a whole. To me, I have no doubt in my mind that he IS Spock and that is a pretty big deal.
Bottom line, this was yet another tremendous episode in what is shaping up to be one of the most solid seasons of Star Trek in a long while. My hat is off to the cast and crew of Discovery. With only a few episodes left, let’s hope they can stick the landing to such a perfect pole vault over last seasons nonsense.
Gleanings, Questions and cool bits: (slight spoilers here)
- Burnham actually died and was brought back to life by the very doctor who also was brought back to life, Culber, that is kinda meta huh?
- I really hate Tyler. I know he is now beholden to Section 31 but that dude is a putz. I have no doubt that S31 has his wife(?) and child in captivity but still, the dude is a Klingon and he acts like a freakin’ Romulan p’takh. Thankfully, we may be done with him but I have my doubts.
- Oh geez, are we seeing the origin of the Borg through the Control/Leland fusion? An artificial intelligence blended with a human, sure looks like it. hmmmm I mean, cool and all but we really don’t need their definitive origin. I also have to wonder if this doesn’t have something to do with V’ger as well. Maybe instead of the Borg, this is the result of Ilia and Decker’s union? Not likely but still, not EVERYTHING needs to start with humanity and not everything has to connect, so I hope it is neither. Please be neither!
- So, Burnham’s mom literally jumped 950 years into the future. She has also been jumping through time visiting different time periods. I have a distinct impression that we will see her in the new Picard series. Especially now that we know the signals had nothing to do with her. Who is sending the signals? Could it be a certain future Captain of the Enterprise? Could be…I guess we might find out soon enough.
- I really liked Burnham’s mom’s view on time and how it is such a juxtaposition with Picard’s from Generations. ‘People think time is fragile, precious, beautiful, sand in an hourglass, all that, but it’s not. Time is Savage, it always wins. So this…is meaningless.’ Wow. I mean, it sounds like someone has been talking to Doctor Soran.
As usual, below are some sneak peeks into next weeks episode. So, until then…
Thanks for reading the SciFi TV Review, I look forward to discussing the rest of the series with you! Some teasers of next weeks episode below!
For more TV goodness check out Retro TV Reviews here.
As always, please feel free to comment below and share your experiences with these episodes as well. If you just happened by, tell me what you think! Don’t Forget To Follow me if you like the blog!
Late To The Game 3/28/2019